What if my passport/ID gets lost or stolen?

Modified on Wed, 31 May 2023 at 10:54 AM

If your passport or ID gets lost or stolen while traveling, it's important to take immediate action. Here's what you should do:

  1. Report the loss or theft to the local police authorities in the area where it occurred. Obtain a copy of the police report.
  2. Contact the nearest embassy or consulate of your country. They will assist you in replacing your lost or stolen passport or ID. Provide them with the necessary details and documentation, including the police report.
  3. Follow the instructions provided by your embassy or consulate regarding the replacement process. Fill out the application for a replacement passport or ID as instructed and provide any required supporting documents.
  4. If you need to travel urgently before your replacement documents are issued, your embassy or consulate can provide you with a temporary travel document.
  5. Notify relevant authorities or institutions if your lost or stolen passport or ID contained other important documents like credit cards or driver's license.
  6. Keep copies of all the documents related to the loss or theft, including the police report, embassy communication, and any replacement documents issued.
  7. Contact your travel insurance provider to report the loss or theft and inquire about coverage for expenses related to document replacement.

By following these steps, you can ensure the proper handling of your lost or stolen passport or ID and minimize disruptions to your travel plans.

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article